About Listen Feature
Speech-enabling by ReadSpeaker
ReadSpeaker allows the text on the website to be read out loud to you. It provides you assistance if you have trouble reading text online. By having the text read out loud to you, you can understand the information on the website more easily. This makes the website more accessible and more pleasant to visit. As a user you don’t have to download anything. You simply click the listen button and the reading starts automatically.
If you select part of the text, a pop up listen button will be automatically displayed next to the mouse pointer, allowing quick access to the reading function for the selected text.
How does it work?
This is what the listen button looks like on this website:
When you click the listen button, a control panel appears (see image below) and ReadSpeaker automatically starts reading the text of the website out loud.
In the control panel you can:
- Adjust the volume
- Pause the reading
- Stop the reading
- Restart the reading
- Choose "No sound?" if your browser does not support flash
- Choose "Settings" if you want to customize the behaviour of the service
In the settings menu you can:
- Choose whether you want to have the text highlighted word by word and/or sentence by sentence, or turn off the highlighting
- Choose whether you want the pop up listen button to be shown when text is selected
- Choose whether you want the reading speed to be slow, medium or fast
If you click on the flash player it will be in focus so that you can control it with the keyboard:
- Play/pause: Space bar
- Stop: Esc key
- Increase volume: Up arrow or the + key of the numeric keypad
- Lower Volume: Down arrow or the – key of the numeric keypad
- Fast forward: Right arrow
- Rewind: Left arrow
For more information please visit www.readspeaker.com.